Back to Member States
- Integrating Watershed and Coastal Areas Management - The Global Environment Facility (GEF)-Integrated Watershed and Coastal Areas Management (WCAM) project is a regional project which has the overall objective of strengthening the commitment and capacity of the participating countries to implement an integrated approach to the management of watersheds and coastal areas. The St. Lucia Demonstration Project is based in the Fond D’or Watershed. The Project aims to develop a model approach to participatory watershed management, and mechanisms for sustainable natural resource management. Project components include riverbank stabilization, wastewater treatment, public awareness and education, water quality monitoring, water resource assessment, installation of and training in rain water harvesting systems. Read More
- Laboratory Chemicals Management - Country representatives participated in a regional workshop on Environmentally Sound Management of Laboratory Chemicals. The workshop was conducted by CEHI and sponsored by GEF-IWCAM project.
- Water Quality - Country representatives participated in a workshop on Water Quality Training in St. Lucia. The workshop was conducted by CEHI and sponsored by PAHO.
- Sustainable Land Management - Country representatives participated in a regional Training Activity in support of the 4th UNCCD National Reporting Cycle. The workshop demonstrated the new monitoring, measuring, and review system, utilizing performance indicators for the general operational objectives of the strategy and impact indicators for strategic objectives as per national and regional specificities. Read More
- Waste Management - Country representatives participated in a regional training workshop focusing on policy and planning. The workshop was conducted by CEHI and designed for the higher management levels in the Public Health and Solid Waste sectors. The workshop was funded by the Government of Japan, in collaboration with the Pan American Health Organization, Office for Caribbean Program Coordination (OCPC), Barbados.
- Water Quality - Country representatives participated in a three-day training of trainers workshop on Practical Water Quality Monitoring and Interpretation of Results. The workshop was conducted by CEHI and sponsored by the GEF-IWCAM project and targeted personnel with experience and training in microbiological and chemical analyses of water. Participants were expected on return to their respective countries, to train other members of laboratory staff, at the national level, in water quality monitoring and interpretation of results.
- Occupational Health and Safety - Country representatives participated in a workshop on Occupational Health and Safety in Dominica. The workshop targeted water utility operators and was conducted by CEHI and sponsored by the Caribbean Basin Water Management Programme Inc (CBWMP) in collaboration with the Dominica Water and Sewerage Company Ltd. Read More
- Laboratory Quality Assurance -Country representatives participated in a Training Workshop on Laboratory Quality Assurance and Method Quality Control. The training was conducted by CEHI and sponsored by the GEF-IWCAM project.
- Sustainable Land Management - Country representatives participated in a two regional workshops on Designing Integrated Financing Strategies (IFS) for Sustainable Land Management in Caribbean SIDS. Both workshops, held in St. Lucia, were attended by some 30 persons representing national UNCCD focal points, land managers and finance officials from thirteen Caribbean countries. CEHI collaborated with the UNCCD, the Global Mechanism, UNDP and the Food and Agricultural Organization in the hosting the workshops. Read More
- Assessment of the quality of Coastal Waters - The assessment was one of activities under a CIDA funded project, co-executed by CIMAB, entitled Regional Network in Marine Science and Technology for the Caribbean: the Know Why Network. The overall objective of the Network was to enhance the capacity of the countries of the Wider Caribbean Regional to implement the LBS Protocol and to improve knowledge of the status and quality of the marine environment and its resources.
- Occupational Health and Safety - CEHI undertook indoor air quality (IAQ) assessments in corporate buildings to identify and alleviate workplace IAQ issues. The Institute facilitated five major interventions in St. Lucia. Read More
- Integrating Watershed and Coastal Areas Management: CEHI assisted the St. Lucia IWCAM Demonstration project in training field staff to collect and test water samples using the La Motte test kit. IWCAM project staff members were trained to carry out pH, temperature and dissolved oxygen field testing.
- Water Quality - CEHI carried out monitoring of wastewater, potable, pool, and coastal water at several hotels in St. Lucia.
- Water Quality - In association with the Sustainable Development & Environment Division of the Ministry of Physical Development, Environment and Housing, CEHI performed sampling and analysis of water to determine the effect of land based sources of pollution on the quality of marine water in St. Lucia